Photo by Suzy Hazelwood from Pexels
The cultural and creative sectors play an important role in improving local living conditions and economy. Various initiatives are therefore implemented by local authorities and private actors to promote the local economy and thus commerce through culture and related activities. Cultural events have the potential to attract people and support local businesses and artists by increasing the turnover of the area in which they take place. This is a virtuous relationship that benefits both local culture, its components and actors, but also local development.
Photo by Nataliya Vaitkevich from Pexels
In this activity, you will learn how to plan a cultural event that also aims to support local shops. The main objective is to create a pop-up art gallery in collaboration with local artists and businesses to increase the attractiveness of the local economy and promote local culture.
In this exercise you will:
- Learn how to contribute to boost the community’s local economy through art & culture
- Learn how to promote local culture and artists
This activity is intended to be conducted individually or in a group.
Use the document “Process of the activity: Art & Culture to foster local development” provided in the resource sections to perform the activity.
This learning quest will teach you as a learner how to promote local development through culture in your community. This activity will help you to bring together local stakeholders from the economic and cultural sectors to create synergies that help develop the community by strengthening employment and economy as well as its local cultural heritage.
- Promote local development and culture
- Know the social and economic value of culture in local development
- Learn how culture and creativity foster inclusiveness within the community
- Know basic marketing strategies
- Identify strategies to foster local cultural practices
- Value and safeguard cultural heritage
- Combine marketing strategies with local artists to foster local development
- Use online tools and platforms to promote the event online
- Promote local SMEs
- Promote social cohesion through cultural tourism
- Promote local cultural heritage with new innovative networks